THE FINAL HOURS OF HALF-LIFE: ALYX is an interactive storybook, written by Geoff Keighley, that takes fans inside Valve Software to chronicle the company’s past decade of game development, including the return of Half-Life.
Twenty-two years ago, Geoff Keighley was in college when he visited Gabe Newell and Valve Software to write The Final Hours of Half-Life. Now, over two decades later, Keighley returns to Valve for The Final Hours of Half-Life: Alyx.
This 25,000 word multimedia experience gives readers an unprecedented and unvarnished look at the past decade inside Valve. From the revelation of surprising canceled projects to never-before-seen images, photos and video, The Final Hours dissects Valve’s creative process and candidly explores the development history of Half-Life: Alyx.
This interactive storybook does not use or require a virtual reality headset. It merges a 25,000 word traditional story with 3D video game technology to give customers a fly-on-the-wall perspective of Valve’s creative process. FEATURES INCLUDE:
- INTERACTIVE “TONER” PUZZLES: Unlock never-before-seen concept art and images via interactive puzzles inspired by Half-Life: Alyx
- NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN PROTOTYPES: From early video prototypes of Alyx to other cancelled games, Valve reveals unknown – and unreleased – projects.
- HEADCRAB SOUND MIXER: Create your own headcrab sound effects using the same source files as the development team.
- DEVELOPMENT FLOOR EXPERIENCE: Explore the Valve office with an interactive 3D tour that showcases the development area for Half-Life: Alyx.
- VALVE TIME: An interactive timeline details Valve’s software and hardware projects over the past decade – including previously unknown projects.
- RHYS DARBY: Exclusive interview with Rhys Darby (“Russell”), one of the stars of Half-Life: Alyx
Note: The Final Hours of Half-Life: Alyx does not require or utilize a VR headset.